Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"Love is patient..."

  
     Last Sunday was one of the first Sundays in a LONG time where I actually got to go to church and did not have to be teaching a Sunday school class.  I had been teaching every Sunday for the past two years and I decided to take sometime off from that.  I wanted to actually be able to go to church and let someone else do the preaching and teaching.  I am so glad I did this because Sunday had the best message I have ever heard.  My preachers message was on the topic of LOVE!  Best topic ever if I do say so myself.  Boyfriend was with me at church and as soon as the preacher started talking I looked over at boyfriend to make sure he was paying close attention to what the preacher was saying.  I may have even nudged him a few times just to make sure.
  
    The preacher told us to turn to 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7.  If you aren't aware with this passage go and read it!  It's this one that goes a little something like this ... "Love is patient, love is kind..."  you know the one you hear at every wedding.  Yeah that one!  So he starts off talking about this quote.  I have heard this verse a thousands times and I have even quoted it many times in cards and stuff to boyfriend, but I had never heard it quite like this.  He went on talking about how love isn't easy and it shouldn't be.  Love is work and that if you truly love someone you will do whatever it takes to make it work.  That if one does not have patience with the one they love, then do they truly love them?  If one is not kind to the one they love, can they truly love them?  He went on talking about every point in this verse.  Saying that to envy the one you love is wrong and it is "meaner" than jealousy.  That one should "rejoice" at their loved ones accomplishments.
  
     At the end of the sermon, the preacher told everyone to go home and to talk with the one you love and to go through each part of this verse.  Of course I could not wait until we got home to discuss it with boyfriend... so as we were walking to the car I started asking him all these questions and started going through each part of the verse.  With a beautiful smile on his face he answered each question with grace.
  
     After I discussed it with boyfriend I thought about all the other people in my life that I love... In the end...  this sermon made me realize how truly lucky I am.

     I have a mom and dad that loves me no matter what.  They have had patience with me throughout my life and have giving me guidance.

     I have a sister that loves me no matter how much I followed her around when we were kids.  I'm sure I was quite annoying.

     I have friends that love me even though I am such a dork at times.

     I have a boyfriend that loves me despite my faults.  I am so truly and deeply in love with this man and I am so thankful to have him in my life.  The patience he has with me is unbelievable.

     So thank you to my family, friends, and boyfriend for loving me and for letting me love you.  But most importantly thank you Lord for loving me even when I most certainly did not deserve your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment